The Edina Fire Department responded to two unrelated calls of smoke and flames started in laundry rooms this morning. There were no injuries in either incident.
Around 7:30 a.m., a one-alarm fire was reported in a single-family home on the 5000 block of Wooddale Avenue. The fire was quickly placed under control, with only minimal damage done to the home.
Shortly afterward, a washing machine started smoking on the first story of an apartment building on the 7700 block of Cahill Road."It did overheat and smoke quite a bit but there wasn’t ever a fire," said the department's communications coordinator Jordan Gilgenbach. "The machine needs a new motor but there wasn’t any other property damage."
Dryers and washing machines were responsible for one in 22 home structure fires during a recent five-year period, according to the National Fire Protection Agency. But dryers are more than 11 times as likely to be the cause of fires than washing machines.
The fire department suggests residents follow these tips on avoiding laundry room fires.