In the forum, which lasted about two-and-a-half hours, candidates answered questions about the most pressing issues facing the school district, how to attain the district's "all-for-all" program to address the achievement gap, what to do to ensure community engagement with the board and priorities for hiring a new superintendent.
Two incumbents, Randy Meyer and Regina Neville, will run alongside seven challengers. Meyer, Neville and Lonni Skrentner's seats are up for election, along with the seat vacated by Idith Almog in July, which Brian Hedberg currently occupies.
Meyer and Neville's challengers are Danielle Mitchell Busby, Gayle Castro, Leonel Dorvil, David Goldsetin, Lisa O’Brien, Mark Sparano, and Vivien Talghader.
Sparano was not present at the Oct. 14 forum, but his wife, Nancy, spoke in his stead.
Edina's school board candidates also debated in September during a forum hosted by the League of Women Voters.
Edina Patch has been running weekly questionnaires with the candidates. As of Tuesday, eight have been posted:
- Meet School Board Candidate Vivien Talghader, an Electrical Engineer
- Meet School Board Candidate Danielle Busby, a Human Resources Officer
- Meet School Board Member Randy Meyer, a Biomedical Executive Seeking Re-election
- Meet School Board Candidate Lisa O'Brien, a Ph.D. in Child Psychology
- Meet School Board Candidate Gayle Castro, a 'Household CEO'