Volunteer Opportunity: Upcoming Blood Drives in Edina
A total of five Memorial Blood Center blood drives will be held in Edina in the coming weeks.
Did you know that, 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime?
Because of the need for donated blood, five Memorial Blood Center blood drives will be held in Edina in the coming weeks.
On Feb. 24, residents can give blood from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Edina Community Lutheran Church. On Mar. 4, residents can give blood at Braemar Office Park (8000 West 78th St.) from noon to 4 p.m. On Mar. 5, Barr Engineering (4700 W 77th St.) will be hosting a blood drive from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Mar. 13, a blood drive will be hosted from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Centennial Lakes Office Park. Finally, a blood drive will take place on Mar. 20 at One Corporate Center IV (7301 Ohms Lane) from noon to 4 p.m.
In order to donate blood, various criteria must be met.
- Be 17 years old, or have a 16-year-old consent form.
- Weigh 110 pounds or more.
- Be free of antibiotics for 24 hours, unless taken daily for skin condition.
- Be symptom-free for at least 3 days following a cold or flu.
If you choose to donate, Memorial Blood Center suggests the following tips for a good experience:
- Get a solid night’s sleep before donating.
- Eat a full meal within six hours prior to your appointment.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity or heavy lifting for a few hours after donating.
- Make sure that your system is fully hydrated—drink 12-16 ounces or more just prior to donating and plenty of fluids for the remainder of the day.
To schedule an appointment to donate blood in Edina, go online, find the blood drive you’d like participate in, and create a free donor ID.